The Quantum Data 70x and 80x Video Generators can be automatically controlled by Calman. The generators provide test patterns for visual performance evaluation, grayscale luminance ramp calibration, color gamut (CMS) calibration, and validation measurements of white, primary, and secondary luminance ramps.
Note: The QD 804B controls its window pattern size and the luminance/color of the window, but does not control the background of the window pattern. When you select APL patterns or the Window 4-40 pattern with the 804B, it produces a constant black background instead of the expected background.
Note: These generators do not provide RGB triplet support. These generators cannot provide test patterns for saturation sweeps, ColorChecker patterns, or 3D LUT calibration.
Calman Required Version
- Version 5.6.0 or later
- Version 5.6.1 adds HDR10 support for QD 804 pattern generator (no 804b HDR10 support at this time)
Calman Recommended Workflows
- All measurement and calibration workflows except ColorMatch and Color Cube.
Quantum Data Generator Required Firmware
- All firmware versions are acceptable
QD 804 requires firmware version
- 15092260 or higher to support HDR10 patterns
Quantum Data Generator Control Port
- RS-232 Serial
QuantumData Computer Connection
- Connect the Quantum Data generator to the computer with a null modem serial cable and, if necessary, a USB to serial converter.
- If a USB to serial converter is used, be sure that the proper USB driver is installed for the converter. If necessary, install the SpectraCal Device Driver Pack from this link
Calman Connection Procedure
- On the Calman Source Settings tab, click Find Source
- On the Find Source dialog, select Quantum Data as the Manufacturer.
- Select the Model to match your Quantum Data generator.
- Select the COM Port that is assigned to the connected generator (check this in Windows Device Manager).
- Click Connect on the Find Source dialog.
Calman Source Settings Tab
The Calman Source Settings tab provides Source Information and Settings for the connected Quantum Data Video Generator.
Select the desired test pattern size and type from the Window Size selection box.
Note: For Plasma and CRT displays, Constant APL 50 works well.
Calman provides a default measurement delay time of 2 seconds to accommodate the test pattern settling time of the Quantum Data generator and an attached display. To optimize the delay time for a particular configuration, potentially speeding up all measurement times, click the Optimize button.
The pattern selection field allows you to manually select patterns from the Quantum Data generator for visual display evaluation (not for automated measurements or calibration).